The Life of Sarah PB&J

Musings on my life post grad school and peanut butter... (NB: the archives also contain musings on Russia, law school, and still more peanut butter)

Friday, March 30, 2007

Admitted Students' Weekend - year 2

Last year, I skipped work to come down to UVA's admitted students' weekend. Because I hated my job and hadn't come up with anything else better to do, I had already decided (albeit half-heartily) to enroll at Virginia in the fall. (In fact, I signed the lease for my apartment that weekend...) The program was full of mock classes, student panels, welcomes from this person and that, and to get a true taste of UVA, beer and softball. The one notably absent thing: vegetarian food.

The school catered all of our meals. The welcome dinner was a BBQ - pulled pork, chicken, baked beans (with bacon), cole slaw and chocolate chip cookies. Cole slaw for dinner. yum. Lunch the next day: boxed lunches with no vegetarian option. At this point, I approached who I think was the dean of students and politely asked, "is there a vegetarian option?" His face fell. Whoops. The final dinner wasn't any better - there was a section potluck. On the menu: fried chicken and hotdogs and hamburgers on the grill. There might have been some Tostitos lying around. But you get the picture. (Lucky for me, another admit vegetarian student, Bryn, had brought veggie burgers - not my favorite of foods, but at this point I was HUNGRY. Thank you Bryn.)

The feedback form? - "Vegetarian food please"

Which brings me to this year. I'm not hosting a student or otherwise involved with the program. However, when they had breakfast all layed out in Scott Commons this morning, I did feel free to help myself to a bowl of granola with strawberries. I figure they didn't feed me last year. Virginia owes me some food.

___________________________

to be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home