The Life of Sarah PB&J

Musings on my life post grad school and peanut butter... (NB: the archives also contain musings on Russia, law school, and still more peanut butter)

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Kitchen Woes

My kitchen almost always has the same types of food in it. There are those ever enduring staples that I keep around the house: 2-3 boxes of cereal on top of the fridge, applesauce, peanut putter, milk, jam, and honey inside (along with a random assortment of spices/sauces on the door). The cabinets are filled with tea, extra jars of peanut butter, lots of pasta and Lenny Labrioli's marinara sauce.

Notably absent: sweets, alcohol (aside from the wine on the rack), sodas and meat.

But at this very moment, my life has gone upside down.

I'm out of milk, applesauce, jam, and yes peanut butter. This last absence has been driving me crazy. It's been almost a week that I've been out of it. I went to make lunch today - I had no idea what to eat. No peanut butter? My body revolted. But, taking the PB's place in the fridge is a huge amount of beer, cider, soda and juices. I also just made a trip to the ABC store - to the 24 cans of beer (left over from the party two weekends ago), I can now add vodka, gin, and rum.

There are also more sugary foods in my house now that ever were in Willy Wonka's factory (though none of them are chocolate). Adopted apple pie, ice cream (that I bought for Geoff) and wedding cake cookies from Cathy's shower - just as starters. It's ridiculous. But oh so good :)

Plus, yes, there's "meat" in the house. It was only after Henry moved in that I realized that dogs really can't be vegetarian. Or if they could, I'm not willing to specially order the food, especially when the SPCA gives me free food. So I've got 10 lbs of dog food, plus some "marrow treats" --- I don't even want to hear how they make them.

Bottom line, it's been a fun experiment, but the proper balance of the kitchen must be restored. Plus I'm going insane without peanut butter. Chances are, there will be an emergency run to the store this evening....

_________________________________

in other news, Henry's dog tag came in the mail today. He's been prancing around the living room all evening. I think he's proud of the brass disc hanging from his neck. Or else he's just relieved that all of the visitors have gone (over the past 48 hours he's met 4 of my friends -- and been frightened of each one of them...).

_________________________________

to be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home