The Life of Sarah PB&J

Musings on my life post grad school and peanut butter... (NB: the archives also contain musings on Russia, law school, and still more peanut butter)

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

my brown pants

I have this pair of brown pants. They are ankle length with a small drawstring around the waist. The pants are soft-well worn cotton with small white diamonds.

They are the perfect pants. For lying around the house. For sleeping. For dance (I actually acquired them as part of a costume for a piece I was in senior spring). For yoga. For studying.

I probably wear them about 50 hours a week - if not more. They've been with me to Bermuda. To Russia. To DC, VA, PA, DE, and CT.

But they're beginning to become a bit holey. (they were already holy... sorry - that pun was too tempting.) The fabric is just wearing too thin. The first hole came about six months ago, when I was wearing them on my bike. A bit around the hem got caught on the chain and a small hole was created. I was slightly sad, but no biggie. Then, over winter break, a bit of the inseam started wearing thin and turned into a hole. I could go on a bit more. As of this morning, there were several holes here and there - some larger than others, some that liked to spread in I used just the right amount of tension in just the right place. I avoided doing that.

Then I wore them this evening to yoga. We were doing Karandavasana (ok, some of the more advanced students were doing it.... I was working my way into the asana) and I heard a rip. Right across my right knee. A huge slit. So sad.

I think the pants need to be go into retirement. Maybe I can still wear them around the house now and then, but if I don't preserve them, one of these days, there will be more holes than fabric. And that would be sad.

How I loved those pants. It's the end of an era.

________________________

to be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home