The Life of Sarah PB&J

Musings on my life post grad school and peanut butter... (NB: the archives also contain musings on Russia, law school, and still more peanut butter)

Friday, June 02, 2006

PDAs

Public Displays of Affection.

Remeber High School? With the popular girl (who wasn't any of us) and her football and/or soccer playing boyfriend (not any of you either....) making out in the hall between classes?

Well increase the degree and multiply the people and you'll have Saint Petersburg. Seriously. This place is insane. Everywhere you look there are young people embracing eachother. Middle aged couples kissing. (The elders seem to refrain from PDAs...)

I was on the bus today --- it was a crowded bus. To avoid sitting on this elder man's lap, I was pushed back into another guy on the program, Mike. Not a big deal. But equally close to us was this couple to my right, his left, who were making out. They were sqeezed into each other by the number of people on the bus. And they were into it. Sounds were audible. I was flabbergasted (sorry Uncle T. I like that word :)). Though it might have been tasty (sorry again :)) for them, it wasn't for the rest of us on the bus. Some affection is sweet. Hand holding. Lip pecking. And the like. But there's a place for necking: in private. Please.

And it's not restricted to this incident. Walking down the street, there are hands in other people's pockets (and jeans are tight here: it's Europe....). Ah - enough now. Maybe it's a cultural thing. (I'm not sure I'm going to make it part of my immersion experience though)

_________________________________

That was the only thought of the day. I've got a post brewing on a я versus a мы society - but you're going to have to wait for that one.

_________________________________

to be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home