The Life of Sarah PB&J

Musings on my life post grad school and peanut butter... (NB: the archives also contain musings on Russia, law school, and still more peanut butter)

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mother Goose

So my mother's day dinner failed. Mom ran into S and J, and wanted to do dinner as the four of us. Which was cool (and also got me out of paying...) It was an early dinner, and the bread store next to the Carlyle was still open, so I bought two loaves of bread. Really yummy herb-Muenster bread (goes well with the cauliflower soup I made yesterday :)). So in sum this year for mother's day I remembered/honored by

1. going home
2. getting my hair cut (a little odd -- but if you're on the Allison side of the family, you'll get it.)
3. planning to take mom out to dinner (the thought counts, right?)
4. eating dinner with mom
5. buying her a loaf of bread
6. calling her this morning.

I think that's more thought I've put into holidays well since - ever. Does it get me off the hook for the next five holidays? I'm really worried I'm going to forget mom's birthday again this year (that'd make 3 years in a row). I think I'm going to tell EVERY ONE I meet in Russia --- remind me to call mom on her birthday. remind me to call mom on her birthday. I'm a bad daughter. But I remembered mothers' day. Six times over.

Yeah for mom(s).

________________________________

Speaking of moms. Here's a quick, and hilarious story from the Darfur Rally two weekends ago (At dinner Friday night - I learned that S was there too... crowd was too big - we didn't run into each other.). There was a missing child announcement made by the MC, "Sally Johnson has lost her mother. She's safe now hanging out with George Clooney in the speakers' tent. If you're Sally's mom - come pick her up there. And Sally's only got one mom - so there shouldn't be 200 women all waiting to pick her up and met Clooney!" [laughs] The next speaker approached the podium, "You don't know [name of MC], Sally may have more than one mother!" [Great cheering and applause] Good times.

________________________________

ran some "errands" yesterday. Went to the DAR trying to get info about membership. My dad's family has tons of Patriots I believe, and it'd be cool to get that established. I've gotten a fairly good impression of the DAR while in DC, and hear that C'ville's chapter's pretty sweet. Aunt MB might join with me too. I'll probably end up doing most of the leg work when I get back from Russia. Wanted to go out on the tidal basin in a paddle boat - but it was slightly overcast. WILL DO THIS BEFORE I LEAVE DC. took my bike to get a spring tune up. It got a great health report. cleaned out the fridge. (although it didn't leave me enough time to clean my room... which really needed it. oh well. did it this morning.) sat on the roof and read. Going to do that again today.

________________________________

And speaking of traveling! D got his Fulbright - he's going to Chile next year - and A's going to New Zealand on the Fulbright as well. I've promised both of them I'd visit. (Though I'll admit, I'm motivated by selfishness rather than altruism.) I just wish each plane ticket didn't top $1000. It'd be much cheaper, say if they were studying in Sweden and Mexico. The hardest part will be 1. financing the trip (yeah law school debt) and 2. finding the time to go. They will both be there from Dec - Sept give or take. It'd probably be too early to go over winter break 'cause they'll still be settling in - spring break UVA uses for journal tryouts - so that's out. And the summer, I'm going to want to get a job/internship and try to make some money. But maybe A week or two on either end wouldn't be the end of the world :) (Esp, 'cause it'd let me go to the end of the world.

My mom seems to be planning the next meal while she's eating the first. I seem to plan the next trip before I've even left for the upcoming one... There could be worse things.

_______________________________

to be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home