The Life of Sarah PB&J

Musings on my life post grad school and peanut butter... (NB: the archives also contain musings on Russia, law school, and still more peanut butter)

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Frog and Toad are Friends

So my computer doesn't seem to like blogspot.com today. We'll see if this works.

________________________________

I failed quite miserably in keeping in contact with my high school friends. When I started college, I threw myself in to life at Swat - and didn't really want to be reminded of "where I came from." As corny as it sounds, I felt that I needed some time to figure out who I am - which after all is what college's all about. Being free from contact with former friends and family (probably much of the reason I didn't make too many trips home...), I thought would give me the freedom to figure things out. I still care about friends from home - and think about them often - I just resisted contact. When I'd visit G-town, I'd stay with my family and unless I ran into Mer at the wellness center or was contacted about a gathering at the Pub, did little to seek out people. But at this point, I want to develop relationships with friends from home again. I can't really pinpoint why all of a sudden this urge has developed, but it is. So I started by e-mailing some friends... There's a lot to catch up on - and hopefully we'll be able to keep in contact better of the next years. If there are any g-town lurkers, speak up :)

_______________________

As some of you might know, I've been working on a pro-bono asylum case. A man is seeking asylum (actually withholding from removal) from Guatemala based on his political activities/opinions. I ended up writing 85% of the brief, doing most of the research, and being around for the client interviews etc. But, in the past week or so, I haven't been much help - busy on other cases, sick in bed. And another attorney was helping the attorney in charge instead of me. Which I appreciate immensely. But, today's the hearing, and I was told a few weeks ago to plan on coming. However, I got an e-mail saying that this other attorney was going to go instead, and that she didn't need me. This kind of stung slightly - though I understand her reasoning. Helper attorney has become familiar with the case, and has the authority to address the Court whereas I don't. And I haven't be able to help out recently. But I'm still invested in the case and wanted to be there. oh well. Hopefully she'll be kind enough to tell me the judge's decision...

____________________________

to be continued....

2 Comments:

At 10:39 AM, Blogger joooony said...

SARAH B
it's juny. how are you. i just realized i never ever responded to your facebook message to me like eons ago. and for that i apologize. i am really shitty about responding. if i don't respond immediately i tend to forget. and i don't ever respond immediately.
so.
anyway! yes! i am at penn. it is weird being on a real campus. it is also weird having such disdain for undergrads even though i am fresh out of undergrad myself. makes me feel like a pretentious butt. you're in d.c. right?
it's funny i should catch you on this post abt old high school contacts.
if you want to hear craziness about world collapsing i could certainly give you some interesting gtownish gossip. i went to gtown for amanda's wedding in december (wedding! AAAHHH???) and ended up at field's house playing poker with him and andy and issel and mel and kevin... yeah it was a random random weird trip. my first back to the old haunts since that time i visited after froshling year. anyway. i do blog like every other fool. i am now adding you to my rss feeds. :-)P take it easy mcsheezy.

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Sarah PB & J said...

juny kim!

Penn is odd. and yes - I never got up there. which sucks. Looks like you'll just have to visit me in Russia - or in C'ville if that's easier ;) (Unless you feel like roadtripping to DC next weekend :))

I saw the pics from Amanda's wedding. AAAAAHHHHH I think I was stunned for days. In fact I still am........ no one else is allowed to get married. at least until we're like 35. But I feel with engagements pending, that might not be possible.

Was back in g-town last weekend to see the new house (Hurricane Isabel destroyed old house; we burned it; built a baseball mount; and built a new house. rents moved in two weeks ago....) But that's about it for me...

Good to hear from you :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home