The Life of Sarah PB&J

Musings on my life post grad school and peanut butter... (NB: the archives also contain musings on Russia, law school, and still more peanut butter)

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Loaves and Fishes

So. I've witnessed the Divine.

Last Saturday, I set out to make corn chowder. I had wanted to make a big pot because I knew I'd be feeding a good number of people - and I wanted a little bit left over to eat on throughout the week. By 6pm Saturday I had 3 huge pots of soup. I have no idea how that happened - but I thanked God - and everyone ate a lot of soup. A lot. For days.

This Saturday, I set out to make vegetable soup. I didn't really want to make that much - remembering what happened to me last week. I started with some onion, a parsnip, a few carrots, and a potato. I threw in some black eyed peas, and a pepper, some celery too. And a bit of pasta and a few tomatoes. But small amounts of things - or so I thought. But the first pot started getting really full, so I got out another one and transferred some soup into that one too. But soon the pots were overflowing again, and so I had to get out a third pot. And what do you know, in the end I had 3 big pots full of vegetable soup. Something fishy's going on, I tell you. (although there's no fish in the soup. Fish soup has always creeped me out..).

From these experiences, I draw the following conclusions:
1. I should go cook soup in developing countries/counties.
2. I'm beginning to think that the few loaves and fishes Jesus blessed might actually have fed 5000. I wonder how much soup I'd end up with if I blessed the ingredients, too.
3. There's no way that I can eat three pots of soup this week. I need help. ("If one falls down, his friends can help him up." Ecclesiastes 4:10 - also translated as "If one makes a lot of soup, his (or her) friends can eat it up.") I'm bringing a big container of it to school tomorrow. Please bring a bowl and a spoon (and you might want some bread to go with it too). The soup will be in a large white "sour cream" container in the fridge on the right. I'll leave a ladle with it too. Please help yourself. Lunch or dinner. (and if you get there and the soup's gone, e-mail me, I'll refill the container). Make sure to use salt and pepper.
4. I should try making soup on a day that's not Saturday. That might have something to do with it.

Meanwhile, if you have suggestions for next week's soup, please feel free to e-mail me....

to be continued....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home