The Life of Sarah PB&J

Musings on my life post grad school and peanut butter... (NB: the archives also contain musings on Russia, law school, and still more peanut butter)

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Presidents Like Peas and Paintings

So I've been meaning to post for awhile - so there's lots of little topics to cover - hopefully this won't be too scattered...

___________________________

While I was in Minsk, not only did I buy Georgian wine (which is prohibited in Russia at the moment --- thank you politics!) but I saw the Belarussian president, Lukashenko. I happened to be meandering by the Presidential Residence (note: security almost non-existent - and the "Residence" looks more like an office building on K Street). A man, of appropriate age, walked out of the building, and immediately was saluted by the guard. As I watched the car move down the street, every policeman on the corner saluted as well. Yep - it was 7 am (overnight trains arrive early) and the President was off to work. I'll add him to my current list of Presidents seen or otherwise encountered. We now stand at Bush I and II, Clinton (go State Department Internships :)), Lukashenko. I should work on Putin.

____________________________

Svetlana called last night to make sure that I had arrived safely back in Moscow. I've gotten a lot better with telephone conversations in Russian. Understanding a foreign language without gestures or moving lips in front of you is quite difficult. She's doing well - back to the daily grind of work. I spend a lot of time thinking about her - and plotting ways to get back to Belarus/get her to the States. But it probably won't happen for awhile. Trying to get photos developed to send to her - but not having much luck finding a place that can do it here. But you guys can all see photos online. Here are the new ones.

______________________________

Pedagogy in Moscow is just short of ridiculous. The book we're using is insane - no instructions - no continuity of vocabulary - exercises that don't require you to think... for example: They give you (the answer)

I like peas (She also likes peas)
I like tomatoes (She also likes tomatoes)
I like potatoes (She also likes potatoes)

and so forth.

And what's worse, the teacher follows the book to a tee. By the end of the class, I'm about ready to shoot myself. I've never see a good Russian text book - either geared to English speakers or only in Russian. You Education people out there - can you write one? I'd be very grateful - (and so will all future students of Russian)

_________________________________

Just spent a solid afternoon in the Tretykov Gallery (sorry for the lack of accuracy in my Russian transliteration...). I opted for the "new" half since our excursion went to the "old" half two weeks ago. I could wander through galleries of modern art for ever. I love the textures, the simpliticy, the lines. With art in the "old" gallery - I could appreciate skill and beauty. I like the ideas behind more modern art. I wish I knew more...

___________________________________

Heading out to see Swan Lake. Yeah ballet :)

___________________________________

to be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home