The Life of Sarah PB&J

Musings on my life post grad school and peanut butter... (NB: the archives also contain musings on Russia, law school, and still more peanut butter)

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Speechless

So I'm now entirely settled in in Moscow. I'm getting used to another grandmother - but some of her quirks just crack me up. She insists on removing my plate from the table immediately after I take the last bite and decides how much sugar I should have in my tea (I prefer to take it black....) Some days she'll let me drink it with no sugar - at other times I get one teaspoon - other days 3, even if I asked for it black. Ah Nina.

_________________

I'm playing a lot of piano, which is making me happy. I'm (finally) getting back again to a decent level after hours of Hannon exercises. Thankfully Nina's daughter went to conservatory, so she's used to hearing a pianist practice. My goal, before leaving Moscow, is to get Bach's French Suite 6 to a state where I can at least enjoy it :) We'll see.

_________________

But, should you be worried that I'm spending all of my time here in front of the piano - fear not! Recently, I visited the Храм Христа Спасителя. In case you don't click the link the crazy thing about this cathedral - It's massive (duh) costs over $350 million, and was finished only in 1997. The history of the land is quite interesting too. The site was originally a cathedral that was destroyed to make room for the Palace of Soviets. During Khruschev's period, the foundation of the never-built-Palace was turned into a public swimming pool (Nina recounted to me many stories of her swimming in the pool during winter... Crazy Russians.) And now, it's a church again. Ah the irony.

__________________

We got hot water back. No more sponge baths. (At least for the time being)

__________________

But (drum roll please) - the biggest news in my life: My Local Grocery Store Carries the Food of the Gods! Creamy and Crunchy! I just about rolled over dead. No sign of the box mom and Mims sent of PB, but guess what I'm having for lunch today!

__________________

Lecture soon on "Russia Today" Might be interesting, but it 3 hours long: from 11-2. Could they have made it in the morning or in the afternoon? Kind of ruins hopes of getting any significant sightseeing done. But it is allowing for a lazy morning...

__________________

to be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home