The Life of Sarah PB&J

Musings on my life post grad school and peanut butter... (NB: the archives also contain musings on Russia, law school, and still more peanut butter)

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Moscow Tales

I arrived in Moscow Friday morning, and was quickly whisked away to my host mother's house, Nina. The organization here in Moscow seems significantly better than in St. Pete. Instead of being dropped off at the curb, I was walked into the apartment and introduced to my host mom. Sweet. So about her:

Nina Michalovna - a babushka if there ever was any. A retired professor of Russian Literature. On every wall of the apartment are Russian books. Two daughters - grown. One went to the conservatory. (There's a piano in one of the bedrooms. I've already played quite a bit. This makes me happy.) There's a grandson too - about 4 years old. But he's at the dacha for the summer. But I've seen pictures. Nina has significantly more money than my host family in Pete. You can tell by the size of the house, and by how it's appointed. Whereas my St. Pete family has a tiny kitchen with 2 pots and a frying pan, Nina has more than I can count - and cooking utensils too! The piano. The books. The wall hangings. I spent the first 24 hours in awe of her possessions. Kind of crazy, when compared to American standards, she's still barely middle class... But for me, now, it's palatal.

She lives out about 7 metro stops from the center of Moscow - which is ok, because she's only a 10 minute busride from the Institute, which is also outside the city... A 30 minute walk to the metro or a 2 minute bus ride... Not bad.

She's also an amazing cook. I've had 3 meals with her so far. And she doesn't mind cooking veggie for me. I had a spicy Russian (imagine that) - potato/mushroom/other unknown vegetable curry last night. and this toasted bread covered with cheese and dill this morning for breakfast. Yum.

She's very concerned about helping - and very attentive. Sometimes too much so... But I'm quickly getting used to her correcting every grammatical mistake (think every other word...) And finally, she's quite religious. Where the walls aren't covered by books, there are icons. And, one of the first things she did was take me to her local church. So that's Nina.

________________________

Yesterday, we had an excursion to the Seat of Russian Orthodoxy. It was quite a cool trip - a working monastery. There were lots of monks. Lots of icons. Lots of pilgrims. And lots of holy water. Glad for the visit. It was also the first chance to socialize with the portion of the Arizona group that is spending the entire summer in Moscow. So that's Sergiev Posad.

________________________

And today, I'm wandering around the Kitai-Gorod and the Red Square. I saw St. Basil's and Lenin (in his pink poka-dotted tie), the crazy underground mall (where I am now), a whole string of convents (located on one street, side by side... I wonder if they have convent rilveries...)

Moscow's a hilly city - and not nearly as picturesque as St. Pete. The buildings are taller. The city's less European. But it's growing on me. So that's Moscow (for now.)

_________________________

Finally, I heard from Svetlana. We spoke on the phone my last night in St. Pete. I'll be going to Belarus the 15th of July (assuming all of my visas are in order (I need an additional entry and exit visa for Russia and a visa to Bealurs. Fillin' up that passport!)) Dahsa, the program leader, suggested that since Sveta lives so close to the Ukrainian border, that I visit the Ukraine too --- no visa required. So I might skip an entire week of classes and see Kiev too. Why not?

_________________________

Thanks to every one who's been writing! I love to hear from you guys. Internet access in Moscow will probably be more spotty - there isn't a cafe around the house, and though there is free internet access at school, there's only one computer for ~ 60 students... So I probably won't be able to get on but every 3 or 4 days I'd imagine. Just don't think I'm dead :)

________________________

to be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home