The Life of Sarah PB&J

Musings on my life post grad school and peanut butter... (NB: the archives also contain musings on Russia, law school, and still more peanut butter)

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Rants and Raves

So I just bought my laptop for law school. Ouch. But deed done.
_____________________

This may sound obnoxious. So you may skip it if you'd like. But I'd like to briefly write about buses - and social security. Bare with me, I'll make the connection. So here's the deal: It is common protocol that when someone older than you gets on the bus - and there are no seats left, you offer yours. They can refuse to take it from you, at which point, sit away! But, it is only common courtsey to offer your seat. Buses here are crowded - especially during rush hours. And I often either "loose" my seat early in the ride, or never have one at all. Though I'm a bit sad about this - as it prevents me from reading (too much effort to stabilize myself) or writing (ditto), or sleeping (ditto), that's ok - because I'm "banking" time. When I'm older, I'll get to sit down nearly every time on a crowded bus, because people will offer me their seats. Right? Maybe not. I've noticed so many younger people here (and in DC too) that do not offer their seat to the babuski'i and elders on the bus, who need it much more than us youngins with our healty legs. Unless you're pregnant - offer your seat. I offer mine now not only because it's the "right" thing to do - but also (selfishily) with the promise that when I'm older, the younger generation will offer their seats to me. It's kind of like banking time for the future. I know that the Social Security taxes I pay to support my grandparents now - I'll never see. But I do hope to see a bus seat when I'm 75. And now I'll get off my soap box. Thanks :)
_______________________

Need to rid myself of this wretched cough. People stare at me.
_______________________

Going to the symphony (again) --- this too is getting slightly obnoxous. I almost want to pass my ticket off to my host mom, who hasn't been in ages. I can only absorb so many perforamances in shuch a short period of time. (I think this is the 5th is 2 weeks....) Not that you're hearing me complain or anything.... But we all got to school today and were told, "Symphony tonight!" No warning - no choice in what to see/hear. Just handed a ticket. Sure makes life easy --- but I'd love to see some experimental theater/dance/puppetry (my Swat background coming forward there...) But don't think I'll be handed tickets to those shows. Arizona seems to prefer the Marinskii and other huge venues. But off to the Symphony (and also -- I miss Bach.)

_______________________

If anyone wants to foward me some peanut butter at the following address, I'll be ever greatful. (Creamy or crunchy - no preference!)

Russia
Moscow 111395
Yunosty str.
5/1, block 6 of.35
University of Arizona Program
SPB & J
________________________

My house is getting another foreign student on Friday. Can't remember if I've already told you guys this yet. But yeah --- a girl.
_________________________

to be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home